The National Board of Echocardiography, Inc®. is a Physician, volunteer-led not-for-profit corporation established in 1996 to:
- Develop and administer examinations in the field of Clinical Echocardiography,
- Recognize those physicians who successfully complete either:
- Examination of Special Competence in Adult Echocardiography (ASCeXAM®),
- Recertification Examination of Special Competence in Adult Echocardiography (ReASCE®),
- Examination of Special Competence in Advanced Perioperative Transesophageal Echocardiography (Advanced PTEeXAM®),
- Recertification Examination of Special Competence in Perioperative Transesophageal Echocardiography (RePTE®)
- Recertification Examination of Special Competence in Basic Perioperative Transesophageal Echocardiography (ReBasic® PTE)
- Examination of Special Competence in Basic Perioperative Transesophageal Echocardiography (Basic PTEeXAM®)
- Examination of Special Competence in Critical Care Echocardiography (CCEeXAM®)
- Develop a certification process that will publicly recognize those physicians who have completed an approved training program in echocardiography as specified in this application and have additionally passed an examination of special competence in echocardiography administered by the NBE.
The examination of special competence and certification in echocardiography is not intended to restrict the practice of echocardiography. The process is undertaken, rather, in the belief that the public desires an indication from the profession regarding those who have made the effort to optimize their skill in the performance and interpretation of cardiac ultrasound.
We hope you will find this site useful in making decisions about, and going through the process of, taking these exams. To get started, you may want to read Certification Explained , and our Examination FAQ’s and Certification FAQ’s. Please do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Statement
The NBE shares a collective desire for setting standards for knowledge in echocardiography.
We believe diverse backgrounds, knowledge and interests are strengths in reaching that objective, and we are dedicated to providing an equitable and inclusive environment in all our pursuits, where everyone feels valued, appreciated, and accepted.
We strive to have executive leaders and staff who embody all facets of diversity and who endorse the diversity, parity, and inclusion that are vital to our success.
The National Board of Echocardiography, Inc. (NBE) was created by the merger of SCA Exam and ASCeXAM, Inc. in November 1998. Working in collaboration with the National Board of Medical Examiners, NBE has developed two examinations to allow physicians to test and demonstrate their knowledge of echocardiography, based on an objective standard:
The first examination in clinical echocardiography was given under the auspices of the American Society of Echocardiography (ASE) as a field test in 1995. An examination of special competence was then given in 1996, again under the ASE, and in 1997 and 1998 under ASEeXAM, Inc. In parallel, the Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists (SCA) developed the PTEeXAM. This examination was administered in 1998 under the auspices of the SCA.
Since 1999 the exams have been administered annually by the NBE. For these examinations, the title of “Testamur” was designated for successfully passing the examination. This designation was chosen since applicants were not requested to supply information regarding successful completion of training dedicated to the study of Cardiovascular Disease nor completion of special training in echocardiography. With a mature and well-tested examination, a well-defined body of knowledge, published training guidelines, and published continuing quality improvement the NBE began offering certification through the ASCeXAM in 2001 and Board Certification through the PTEeXAM in 2004. The title of “Diplomate” is designated for physicians who are certified in echocardiography and certification is valid for ten (10) years from the year that the Examination of Special Competence was passed.
The NBE administered the first Recertification Examination of Special Competence in Adult Echocardiography (ReASCE) in 2005. The NBE has developed a Recertification Examination that is similar in format to the ASCeXAM but designed specifically for those who have previously passed the ASCeXAM. The purpose of the Recertification Examination is to promote continued excellence in the performance and interpretation of cardiac ultrasound. This examination should be considered in conjunction with on-going continuing medical education in the field.